10.21.2010

obsess.

Ok, before we jump into this, let me first give you a zing of the energy I have right now.

We all know and love the show Mythbusters. In this video, Adam Savage talks about his obsession. Watch the whole thing.





I would like to say, first off, that I would like to become an Adam Savage someday. I think an obsession can be healthy as long as it benefits society as well as yourself, and that it does not take your mind off of what is important. I'm jealous of Adam because he has the time, abilities, talents and resources to create anything he could possibly want.

When i was around 6 or 7, I got into Legos. What wasn't cool about Legos? You could literally build anything you wanted. When I became 9 years old, Legos were my life. I'd sit all day, hunched over on the floor, building one thing after another. I mostly built machines. Back then, there was a special Lego set called Mindstorms which let your Legos use gears and axles to move parts around. I made tanks, walking robots, a basketball hoop that sent your ball back, and even a small conveyor belt system. I was proud of my creations, and so were my parents. They knew that Legos weren't just some toy to me; it was an exercise. It challenged my mental and creative capabilities.

When I went into middle school, I found a class similar to woodshop. I forget the actual name of the class, but it had the word "tech" in it. But this class taught me the next big jump into creating something: you could take a normal object and completely make it your own. This is still an idea that gives me chills today. I have a sand-blasted paper weight that I made in that class with my initials on it. It was my first experience making something so untouchable and solid into my own creation. Growing up, you expect things to be as they are, and accept it. That wall is white with no dents. This printing paper is meant for typing words onto. The yard outside is supposed to have grass on it. This "tech" class opened my mind to see everything as a canvas or a medium. And that is something I can never stop seeing.

My life-long dream is to someday create something that people can use often, or that will make people smile. I want my creation to stand out and be known. I want to stand out and be known.

If you see my house when I get older, let's just say you'll know it's my house.

6 comments:

  1. See, me, I'm more of a puzzle solving kinda guy. My favorite part about Legos was following the instructions and eventually creating the thing pictured on the manual.
    The closest thing I've done that I can really relate to this with is playing Minecraft. I haven't even finished the floor of the castle yet. I've been neglecting it. I don't know how it's going to look when it's done, either. But, I once had a home on top of a plateau where I planted trees on top of trees as the wall and started to fill the gaps with glass. It was gonna be a multi-floor deal, the awesomeness of which was completely infallible as the only way in was by swimming up a waterfall that went all the way through the plateau down to the ground. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect a garden on top of that castle when you finish, with flowing fountains and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should I build a gigantic computer in the basement?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah, fill it with something unique to you. I don't think you'll have enough room, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would if I dug deep enough and somehow took care of the water.

    By the way, I was awoken by my mom asking me if I wanted a pumpkin to carve. I said I just wanted one, a nice plain round one.
    But then I thought of this post, and said I actually wanted two.

    ...:D

    ReplyDelete