2.01.2011

holly.

Alexis gave me a jar.
The jar was filled with journal prompt ideas.
I took a sixth journal prompt idea.
This is what the journal prompt idea said:

"What is your favorite holiday? Why?"



My favorite holiday has always been Christmas.

The smells, the sounds, the traditions, the atmosphere...everything. Let's narrow down these categories! :D

Smells. Nothing quite like the smell of fresh evergreen, be it a tree or garland. The smell captures the essence of Christmas for me. It's not Christmas without that smell lingering around.

Sounds. What is better than Bing Crosby? Bing Crosby singing CHRISTMAS CAROLS. That man makes my Christmas complete. Add that to watching White Christmas every year, and you have a Bing Crosby Christmas every year. I just enjoy Christmas carols in general. I rarely sing them, since I have this - is phobia the word? - of singing around my family. Or the general public, really. But I'd gladly sing them if I had the courage or whatever it is.

Traditions. My family watches at least 3 Christmas movies every year. We try to watch White Christmas and It's a Wonderful Life every time, but we missed the latter movie last year... Anyway, other choices could be A Muppet Christmas Carol, Elf, or The Grinch. Another tradition is how we buy gifts for each other by drawing names. We also get oranges in our stockings every Christmas (even though no one eats it), and here's why. Story time!

Once there was a small orphanage. It was very poor, and the children were lucky to get anything for Christmas from Santa. One year, all the children were given oranges. They were very happy and exited about their treat. However, there was one boy who did not receive an orange because Santa did not bring enough. So the children all took one slice of their own oranges and put them together to make one complete orange for the little boy.

I probably got a few details wrong, but I got the point of the story across. I think I'll pass that tradition onto my family, too.

Atmosphere. Everyone's just happy during Christmas. There's pretty snow falling, everyone's bundling up with hot chocolate, spending time indoors as a family. Sounds like a Norman Rockwell painting. (Note: If you don't know who Norman Rockwell is, you need to freshen up on your Americanism or something.) Also, I have this incredible - is fetish the word? - of making things for people. Or just giving things to people. So Christmas is the perfect excuse to go ahead and just make stuff for my friends.

So Merry Christmas.

In other news, I turned in my mission papers over the weekend. And events are happening just as I thought they would. Everyone is freaking out. Not fun. I can only imagine what it'll be like when I get my call. Or when I get back, even...not fun... I enjoy attention from close friends. Not from acquaintances. Or strangers. Oh crap, my singles ward... Man, it's only getting worse...

No comments:

Post a Comment