1.27.2011

endearment.

Alexis gave me a jar.
The jar was filled with journal prompt ideas.
I took a fifth journal prompt idea.
This is what the journal prompt idea said:

"What songs have a special meaning to you? Why?"



Let me just click on iTunes really quick...

Oh. I was going to see what the top 10 most played songs on here were, but because I recently backed all of my music onto an external hard drive, all that information got reset. That information wouldn't have been very accurate, anyway. I keep iTunes on shuffle, so the top-played songs would just be the ones I don't skip. Let's see...

A lot of Pokemon songs - be it from the old anime or the games - have always made me feel nostalgia. I like listening to those, when I'm in the mood.

Some Final Fantasy songs make me nostalgic or energetic. Fisherman's Horizon is a very pretty song. Aerith's Theme is very sad, as well as Zack's (if you know the story behind it).

When I want to get a huge rush (which is rarely nowadays, but I'm still prepared if a moment comes around), I throw on some LAST ALLIANCE. They've got good music to be riled up with.

For a while, The Other Promise (Roxas' Theme) had always been kind of a theme song for me, as corny as it sounds.

I like to wake up to anime BGM tracks in the morning. Stuff from Lucky Star, ToraDora or Chobits. The BGM from those shows are always soothing and very fit for just everyday life.

Beatles are good to sing along to. Everyone knows most of the songs, so it's easy to get others involved. It's always better to sing in a group than alone.


I'm pretty picky about my music. Music, to me, has to have an emotion or memory attached. And, in some cases, I just enjoy the sound of the melody, but it's hard to describe exactly WHAT makes me like a melody. I just like it. Yes, this includes mainstream and indie music. I like Viva la Vida. I like a few tracks they played in Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.

I have some weird songs that I like. Like the Japanese opening to the first Pokemon Diamond and Pearl anime. That's a catchy song. There are some anime character songs I enjoy, too, like Sing a Song, sung by the main male lead from Chobits. I'll also download a lot of anime opening and ending themes. Well, not a lot, just ones that I enjoy listening to or that make me remember the quirkiness of the show (Example: Azumanga Daioh).

My point is, there's no specific genre, instrumentation or artist that I follow to know what music I enjoy. If I hear a song, I'll judge that particular song by itself. If it makes me feel something, remember something, or I just plain enjoy it, it'll probably go into my playlist. I know in the past people have wondered why I don't like a certain song if I like one of these other songs. Well, truth be told, I don't know why, either. I just don't. It doesn't make me react in any way.

Oh. One of my favorite. ABSOLUTE FAVORITE artists that I do know, though, would have to be Tenmon. He wrote all the music for She and Her Cat, Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, and 5 Centimeters per Second. Those give me an incredible rush of nostalgia, romanticism, endearment, and...well, longing, I should say. All of his movies are very full of emotion, so those feelings are shown through all Tenmon's music. AGAIN, I FRIGGIN ADVISE ANYONE READING THIS TO WATCH THOSE MOVIES. Of course, this fascination for young-love stories is probably just my deal... but whatever. I still love it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment