6.12.2011

kickin'.

It's been a week since my last post, so I feel like it's about update time.

It feels like there's something I've been wanting to talk about today, but nothing's coming to mind, so I'll go with a subject I thought up a couple days ago that I had no time to talk about until now.

I think a big part of being a youth (or youthful) is to go on a few big adventures in your life. A big adventure, to me, is going to a large setting that is unique to your normal lifestyle with some comrades. Your parents aren't there. Maybe a couple of siblings, depending on your relationship. Best case scenario, go with some mere acquaintances. These big adventures are a great way to discover more about yourself, as well as develop great friendships with others. A couple of adult guides are a must, because we are merely youths, and can't get by doing everything by ourselves in the world. We're still knowing simply how to exist in it, let alone mold it into what we want. Anyway, these big adventures have been incredible points in my life.



I've only gone on one big adventure so far, I think. I possibly could have been on a few more for scouts or some obscure family trip to that one place we've been to only once, but this particular trips stands out as an experience that affirmed my independence in a very populated area.

When I had barely finished my sophomore year and was blooming into my junior year, I flew to Washington DC with 3 other students and a teacher. Once in the city, we met up with our "tour guide" (She was just as clueless as we were. Absolutely worthless.), so our entire company was made up of 2 boys, 2 girls, a male and a female instructor.

It was incredible. I went under the Lincoln Memorial, walked down the Washington Monument, and ventured into the basement of Mount Vernon. How many people can say they've done all that? It also reaffirmed my skills as a city-slicker. I was the guide most of the time. It sounds like I'm tooting my own horn, but really I'm saying it out of spite for our idiotic "guide".

We went 20 mph down the freeway because she was looking for an exit. Yeah, stupid.

I wish I had taken more pictures or something, but it will mostly remain in my memories simply as the time I have been most independent while on a vacation.

I talk about this big adventure because I'm about to go on another one. Two, in fact.

The most obvious one is my mission, which is still the subject any conversation I have with anyone turns to.

The second big adventure is a doozy. I'm going to San Diego with a bunch of friends of my acquaintance (and my acquaintance) for a Pokemon video game tournament. We're going to Disneyland one of those days, and most likely the beach. This is the perfect setup to what a big adventure is all about, and I'm no less than super excited. I'm excited to go to Disneyland for the first time in a few years, to see and feel the beach after having not been to it for a while, and I'm excited for the Pokemon Video Game World Championships and all the events that are going on there. But simply, I'm mostly excited for the sheer experience of going on a long road trip with people I hardly know without my parents being sticks in the mud about what activities we'll be doing (They can tell you I have major beef about that).

Of course, now that I'm older and my opinion actually matters, I'll decide for myself what is good and what I draw the line at in terms of activities. For the most part, thought, these guys are ready to let out their inner kids, and they won't let something stupid get in the way of everyone to just have fun. My inner child is going to be given a jumpstart, Monster energy drink and a do-what-you-want pass on this trip.
Crap's gonna happen.

2 comments:

  1. Me and Tyson have definitely gone on a few of those types of adventures haha. But I just watched The Best Two Years again and it got me so excited for the mish. i suggest watching it when you get close to leaving. It gives it a whole new feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm excited for your adventures. you'll definitely find yourself in a new way with the independence. and yeah, i agree with Jordan, actually i haven't seen that since i've gotten back and i think it would take on a whole new meaning now, too.

    ReplyDelete