9.19.2010

introductions.

Hello, greetings, bonjour, hola, konichiwa, aloha, yo, bonjourno, aloha, anything to wave my hand in your face and say: my name is Matt Staib, and this is my blog.

I guess you can consider this my second online journal, my first being here, but this one will focus more on my life and ideas more than just my nerd opinions over at the other one. I'll still share nerd ideas over here, though.



First, the title. Different defined? Let's start off with a dictionary definition. Different: not alike in character or quality; differing; dissimilar. I, like everyone else, am different (best oxymoron ever). But I don't exactly fit into many social stereotypes. I'm Utahn, but not a Republican. I'm a nerd, but I can be very social. Conformism is a roadway of lies, but nonconformism isn't my cup of tea, either. I'm a melting pot of many, many different views and experiences. So I just wanted to show a new different. My different.

First thing's first: rules. Yeah, I have those, too. Stop whining.

1. No ragemail. Send me an email or flame me on dA. Just don't do anything here.
2. No sexual innuendiendios.
3. You better leave a comment. Comments make me want to keep a blog. No comment, no blog. Yeah?

That last one isn't really a rule. More like a suggestion. A suggestion policed by Big Brother.

I'll bring over some articles I wrote on my dA journal to get things started on here. Then I'll start bringing some new cards to the table. New, 1st addition, holographic ones.

5 comments:

  1. Matt, what a perfect start. This piece has your flair all over it, and it's very well written. I think if you continue along this vein, you'll develop a great personal journal.

    Anyhow, yeah. I completely understand what you said about social archetypes, except for the bit about nonconformance. I think nonconformance really means you're not trying to match a social archetype as opposed to trying NOT to match a social archetype (the arrangements of words is key). Trying not to match a social archetype is just another form of conformance, but for some reason that's often associated with the concept of nonconformance.

    What I'm saying is: By being you and playing that role instead of being a sheep and blindly doing what everyone else tells you to do, I consider you a nonconformist. The people who wear black clothes with a bajillion zippers and massive 3-inch ear-rings? THEY are conformists.

    PS. I still think you should at least design an awesome header. See mine for reference.

    Peace,
    The Artificial Craftsman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :3 I wanted this blog to have my voice. That's what my teachers have always told me: I had a good way to make my voice different from others.

    I see your point about nonconformity. I was defining nonconformity as a form of conformity itself, like with the zipper-ring people you were talking about. Kind of a social oxymoron. But yes, I could match the true definition of nonconformist.

    Yeah, I plan to get a header. I was on my iPad when I created and designed what I have so far, so I couldn't edit any images for it. I'll work on it today.

    Oh! And a profile picture with my ACTUAL FACE ON IT. Heh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do have a distinctive writers voice.

    I wasn't saying you were wrong, I was just suggesting an alternate route of thinking.

    Ha! The best part about blogging is personalization, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I know. Thanks for the new route.

    I'll personalize this puppy to no tomorrow. Well... I like the leaves. Those will stay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You want me to comment, but no sexual innuendoes? Does not compute.

    ReplyDelete