9.28.2010

better.

Talents. Everyone has them. A talent to write amazing music. A talent to sculpt a human from a marble prism. A talent to surgically repair a heart. A talent to understand how electricity works. A talent to understand how people think. There are an infinite number of talents out there; some come naturally, others have to be obtained through effort.

My question, then, is...what are my talents?

It seems to me that...everyone in the world is exceptionally good at something. Or at least, much better than your average person. There is always one naturally-given talent people have that a simply second nature to them. I'm really wondering what mine are...

Have I not yet discovered it?

Is this all there is to me?

I honestly hope that I will be able to find out soon... I may just be stuck to focusing on talents that are really not talents at all: merely actions I can do better than the average person. I only think I'm good at them. I mean, sure, there will always be someone who can do something better out there. There ALWAYS will be someone better. I've known that all my life. But I want to at least be up there with one talent...just...what is it?

5 comments:

  1. I think I can relate to you, Matt. I don't feel like I have any talents in particular. I'm above average at TONS of things, but I'm not fantastic or masterful at anything. I mean, I guess I'm witty, but that's not a talent, it just means I think differently.

    I'd argue that you're a good blogger so far, and I'd also argue that you're better at drawing and graphic design than most people your age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. See, that's it. We're both above average on a ton of things. But mastery...I know several people that have that. Kinda makes me think about myself a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "God gave me a gift. I shovel well. I shovel very well." --Mystery Men

    I personally wouldn't stress too much about not settling on your gift yet, Matt. I don't want to sound pedantic, but...well, here I go.

    I've yet to top three decades on this planet, but I'm certain that what I truly could do well was not fully matured until after a couple of important, life-changing events (mission and college). Additionally, I needed the support of my wife in order to be able to focus on what I can do passably well (i.e. write). While I always had an interest, I don't think it became an actual talent without the refining process of endless practice, revision, reading, and learning. Sans such commitment, one's talents prove of little worth.

    The better question to ask yourself is, in what do I wish to spend the greatest amount of time? Then, the classical follow up: Why? And don't stop until you've settled on something real, not superficial.

    ReplyDelete