5.14.2011

called.

Now that I know where I'm finally going for my mission (Little Rock, Arkansas, for those who didn't get the memo), I'll let you guys know which places I did NOT want to serve in. It's safe now, since no jinxing can occur.



Before I start, let me just say I don't believe any mission is a bad mission. Good things happen all over the place, no matter where you go, and certain people are prepared to go there. Apparently, Little Rock is the place I've been prepared to go to.

For starters, my biggest concern was that I would be sent to a South American country. Of all these guys who have come back from missions in the last 5 years, and live in Utah, I'd have to say a good 70% went to South America, it seems. It just sounded incredibly cliché if I went there. Also, I've taken 4 years of high school Spanish. Ever since, I've been slowly pushing the language out of my mind. I just never use it, and it doesn't seem useful to me at all. I really did not enjoy the thought of learning Spanish all over again.

Which leads to my next worry. I didn't want to learn a language I never would have used again, such as Cambodian or French or some weird African clicking thing. I would want to learn something that's applicable to my interests, or at least sound really awesome (such as Japanese, Russian or German). But I guess I'll just stick to speaking English. The biggest thing I have to deal with is avoid picking up a Southern accent.

I didn't want to go out in extreme cold or extreme heat. My dad said, after my sister never went to Mongolia, that he felt like there was supposed to be a Staib in Mongolia. Oh how I would not have enjoyed that. My terrible circulation does not suit that kind of environment. Extreme heat doesn't work with my body, either. I get very tired and slow. Arkansas seems perfect – it has 50º winters and 80º summers, with humidity around 85%. I really love humidity. Reminds me of California.

Regardless of all these dislikes and such, I would have accepted where I was called to go, no matter where it was. Hey, I'm not the person to choose this stuff. God is. So I don't have much to worry about.

2 comments:

  1. When I received mine, I was hoping for something a little more romantic than south Florida. Something just a bit...I don't know...exotic. It ended up fitting in well, and the Spanish I learned became incredibly useful. I imagine you'll see quite a few Hispanics down there, though the majority will probably be black. If anything, you should plan on coming back with Ebonics under your tongue. That should be pretty swingin' cool.

    Congrats on the call, man. That is extremely exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to bless peoples lives in Little Rock. It sounds like it will be a great place to serve. congratulations man.

    ReplyDelete