1.27.2014

why.

Life is a big buffet. You go down the line, put things on your plate, and try each little bit out. At times you get back into the line to dish up more of that one casserole you really loved. Other times the jello tastes kinda sour, and you only manage to take a nibble and throw away the rest. You fill up on everything you can, though, because you don't want to regret avoiding a food that could influence your taste buds forever.

This is how life goes. I equate the foods here to being experiences, interests, hobbies and passions. I've been through the buffet line, and I'm content with the "foods" that I've grown to enjoy. I'm not going to list all of my interests and hobbies, of course, but a few that I want to highlight are my affinity for Japanese culture, video games, and other forms of entertainment such as Homestuck, Vocaloid, and table-top gaming.

I really like these things. I love to learn more about them, be involved in them, and sprinkle aspects of each interest into my every day life.

But why?

This is the question I have come to, after finding out what I like and how it has become a staple in my activities each day. Why do I like these things so much? I roll a bunch of dice around and deal "damage" to imaginary monsters. My iPod is full of music sung in a language I can't even understand. I naturally know every button and command on an electronic controller. WHY DO I ENJOY THESE THINGS?

I ask myself this question because I know there are people out there that will ask me the same thing someday. I don't want to give a lame answer like, "Well, I just DO." I want reasons. I want purpose. I've put myself onto this path so that I can understand myself better. Maybe, if I can give purpose to my hobbies and interests, I can develop a better appreciation for the world around me, as well as myself. I wouldn't seem to be jumping on a bandwagon. I'd be myself because I reason to.

No comments:

Post a Comment